Thursday 3 February 2011

My shadow on the ground...

Following the (pagan) celebration of Candlemass Day yesterday, today the sun came out and I could not resist going out for a run. Given that I have been suffering from a dreadful cold for several weeks now and given that I have another operation looming; this time to remove a rather troublesome varicose vein on my right leg, you might understand if I said that, I have been rather depressed of late. Today however, that has changed. There has been a significant shift in my psyche and today, as I ran along the tracks and trails of Eelmoor Plain and Long Valley, I actually felt like a runner once more; an overweight runner maybe but a runner never the less. What brought this change about? Well several things happened yesterday. Firstly I had booked myself a therapeutic massage at my health club which was just divine; hot stones sliding up and down my troubled legs and aching back, followed by a facial scrub with gentle fingers working to remove both the physical and emotional impurities lodged in my head... and probably in my mind. My second treat of the day was to go and get my hair cut and scalp washed at my favourite Barbers - I don't have much hair, so I can't say 'hair washed', as my head is mostly scalp. The benefit though, is that as I emerge from the depths of the shop sink, I always feel that I have been born again! Then I found out that yesterday was Candlemass Day and given that it symbolises the mid-winter point and the promise of spring around the corner, complete with sunny sunshine, I was finally filled with hope and light. So when the sun came out today, I found myself out running and I saw my shadow on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment