Tuesday 5 May 2009

My body speaks my mind...

I'm a runner.  Well, perhaps to some I maybe more of a jogger, if the difference is just simply down to speed. But I say I'm a runner regardless. I'm not running at the moment, as I am recovering from an operation on my left foot. This is the second operation to correct a particular problem I have with hammer toes. Last September, while out running, this problem escalated, causing the knuckle of the joint between one of my toe bones and metatarsal head to fracture and then shear off. Owchy, Ow. I've noticed recently that I seem to injure myself quite a lot, mainly small things like trapping my left finger in the car door, cutting my head open while ducking through something, banging my head on hanging baskets (wrote a poem about that once, as I was out running at the time), twisting my ankle repeatedly, the last time because I trod on the smallest of branches (the only one) laying on my path and I also put both feet through a plastic binding strap. Flew quite a long way with that one! Yes, I was out running. I also have problems with my right hip, left shoulder and I have tinnitus, mainly on the left side of my head. Because I'm not running and stuck at home, I'm catching up on reading some of the many books I've been meaning to read for some time. One book I'm reading is Your Body Speaks Your Mind by Debbie Shapiro (Piatkus 1996). This book is about understanding how your thoughts and emotions affect your health. The book suggests that our emotional and psychological state affects our physical well-being. Take my foot for instance. According to Debbie Shapiro 'Our feet also indicate how we feel about where we are going. If, for instance, there is fear of what lies ahead - perhaps due to old age, illness, or insecurity - then toes may curl or the feet become sore so that we cannot walk easily. This stops us from moving forward, as if we are trying to stop the future from happening. Or it may feel as if there is nowhere to go, so why bother'. Wow! I've got curling toes and my feet get sore from time to time and I'm getting old! Guess I'd better look into this further. This also happens to fit quite well with my earlier blog on why I blog, where I suggest that my reason for blogging is not because I'm a sado but because I am under pressure to make some adjustments in my life. What next?  Well, I'm going to list all of my injuries and physical complaints and cross-reference them against the relevant sections in Debbie's book to see what comes up. Could be madness, could be depression or could be understanding, enlightenment and action. Just have to wait and see.       

No comments:

Post a Comment