Tuesday 5 May 2009

On Blogging...

There is currently an argument raging about why people blog and twitter.  According to Monday's Daily Mail and today's BBC Breakfast News, some psychologists believe that bloggers and twitters are demonstrating 'the pinnacle of banality and narcissism' and are suffering from 'a lack of identity' (Oliver James, Daily Mail 4 May 09). Alian de  Botton, philosopher and author of Status Anxiety and The Pleasures And Sorrows Of Work was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that 'it represented a way of making sure you are permanently connected to someone and that someone is permanently connected to you, proving you are alive'. Other psychologists argue that 'unless people have recognised and validated you, then you cease to exist'. Hmm, well.  I don't accept the first argument at all, as I'm neither banal nor narcissistic (been accused of it though) and I do have an Identity.  The latter arguments about why blogging etc. are though much closer to where I'm coming from, as demonstrated in my current blog description. However, even that is beginning to change as I find that I am slowly getting in touch, at a subconcious level, with what may become the primary purpose of my blog.  These subconcious drivers, as I call them, are still hidden in the mists of my mind but I am already fairly certain that they are bound up with a need to make some adjustments in my life and are nothing to do with being a sado. Hmm, interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment