Tuesday 16 June 2009

Deaf/blind and spit in your face...

Is it a false memory that I have? Did I not hear Ministers' say only recently that, 'we must listen to the electorate'; to the voters, to you and me? Was this phrase not used in the midst of the MP's expenses scandal and just after New Labour lost so badly in the recent local elections? This government of ours has repeated this phrase so many times now that it has become etched into my memory banks; similar to hearing your name mentioned across a crowded and noisy room, I can now tune into this phrase, this New Labour Watchword and in a fraction of a nano second I am scowling with contempt. I can even recall Blair, when he was still in No.10, using the same phrase, again just after taking a beating in local elections. I have not counted the number of times this phrase has been used but it must be in the dozens by now. Personally, I think they should dump it, especially as they don't listen; in fact they have no intention of listening to you and to me, they are too arrogant for that. The evidence that they don't practice active listening is clearly demonstrated; Brown's refusal to allow a once promised referendum on Europe, Mandelson saying, only within the last few days, that the UK is looking forward to adopting the Euro as its currency, last night Brown confirming that the Iraq war enquiry will be held in secret; this despite a public outcry for an open enquiry and this after MP's tried to use secrecy to hide their blatant misuse of the parliamentary expenses system. All this just after using that popular phrase of theirs again, not just once but several times! They smile, utter meaningless words and then just spit in your face. For one, I don't want the Euro, I don't want to be European and I don't want to be governed by a super-state who know nothing about 'my' culture. I want to remain and be English and I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment